Bhangra is a traditional and vigorous folk dance performed in Punjab. Traditionally, the people of Punjab perform Bhangra to celebrate the harvest and other festive occasions such as birth of a baby and marriage. Bhangra dance is typically performed in a team and involves coordination, timing and techniques amongst various team members.
It is followed by the fluctuating rhythm of the dhol, the Algozeh, the Chimta, the Tumbi and the traditional folk songs sung by men and women. The energetic sound of Dhol and the delightful sound of flute and other musical instruments work makes the feet tap magically. Punjabi boliyan lyrics matching to the tunes are so joyful that nobody can resist dancing.
Recently, Bhangra is practised in gyms as a form of intense aerobic exercise for the following reasons:
- Increased endurance
- Alternative to existing aerobics and dance forms in the fitness industry.
- Bhangra beats is a fitness program that combines aerobic exercise, Indian culture and music.
The moves in Bhangra are stomping feet, shoulder-shrugging, hand-clapping and swinging arms.
The physiological benefits derived from Bhangra workout include:
- The Bhangra beats aerobic dance involves continuous, rhythmic body movements designed to raise heart rate
- Strengthen the lungs
- Work out all the major muscle groups in the body like the legs and buttocks.
- This workout is done to music with pulsating beat to set the tempo.
- With time and regular workout, the heart grows stronger and can meet the muscles’ demands with little effort.
- The Bhangra workout also helps one avoid chronic diseases such as heart disease, hypertension, and stroke.
- It also lowers blood pressure, builds strong bones and helps control weight.
- Improved overall cardiovascular functions
- Renewed physical stamina
- Increased lung power
- Enhanced muscle tone and flexibility
- Weight loss
- It improves one’s attitude and increase personal confidence.
- Ideal for those who prefer group activities.
- It is a mild aerobic exercise without boredom.
- It is like having the best of both worlds – healthy and happy.
What kind of sportswear is ideal for Bhangra Fitness?
There are many jumps in Bhangra and therefore it is important to have proper training shoes that provide good support.
In addition, you also sweat a lot while dancing Bhangra and therefore Bhangra beats encourages you to exercise in comfortable clothes that you can easily move in.
A 45-MINUTE BHANGRA AEROBIC DANCE BURNS 500 CALORIES!!